A couple weeks ago, some friends of ours tore up an old deck in their backyard and offered the old wood to us. We jumped at the chance and came home with this loot. (Thanks, friends!)
After throwing around a couple ideas of what to do with the wood, we decided to try our hand at building a bed. It looked like it would be just the right amount of wood and if it didn’t work out…oh well…it was free anyways. So why not??
I’ve been eyeing this beautiful bed for the master bedroom but I wasn’t quite feeling the $2,000 price tag.
We started by laying out the boards for the headboard side by side.
And drew the outline of the headboard on a large sheet of paper.
…and taped it to the boards. I traced the outline of the paper on to the boards.
Then cut each of the boards one by one by using our jigsaw.
Then we trimmed the bottom of he boards with our miter saw, leaving the two on the outside longer.
We use scrap pieces as braces for the back of the headboard.
For the frame, we built a simple box with legs. I didn’t stain in all the way across the slats because it really wasn’t necessary.
We put a 1×2 the length of the bed an inch from the top…
along with a 2×4 down the middle (also an inch from the top). Then, we placed 10 1x4s across to make the slats.
For the legs, I drew the shape I wanted on a 1×10 and mitered one edge of each piece so they fit flush on the corners.
And here it is, in all it’s sanded, stained, and sealed glory…
We used the same stain as that we used for the sliding barn door.
As luck would have it, I found some plans AFTER we built ours…oh well. Here’s the link in case you want to build your own. It’s pretty similar to the one we built (ours is a bit taller with chunkier legs).
I’d say we’re pretty happy with our free bed…at least we know Wiley gives his approval!
Oh, and some of you have asked about how sturdy it is. So, I did the best sturdy test I know…
Consider this sturdy test passed.
Playing along with Creating with the Stars!