I found the perfect bench for the foot of the bed in our master bedroom from Wisteria.
And it only costs $574.00 + plus tax! I guess I could pay that.
Heeehehaha hahaha. Hah. Heh. No.
So in true DIY knockoff fashion, I wanted to make one similar. Here’s how I did it:
Start out by drawing half of the demilune shape on a big sheet of white paper.
Trace the template onto the MDF, then flip it over and trace the other side so it will be symmetrical.
Next, plot out a couple points on the paper that will be the tufts. Repeat the process above: copy the pattern to one side, then flip over the paper and copy it to the other side.
We used our jigsaw to cut the MDF and then we drilled holes on the marks.
I had some leftover bed foam sitting in our attic, so I used it for the cushion. Just double it up, cut it to match the shape, and use a knife to cut holes that line up with the holes in the board (use your paper template again).
Now for the tufting. The buttons will be just for show as they aren’t meant to hold this much tension. So hold off on the buttons for now.
I used my upholstery needle, doubled-up my thread twice (quadrupled-up?), and tied one end to a washer.
Starting from the bottom, go through the drilled holes…
through the foam and fabric…
then back through the other way (back down to the bottom). Pull it tight (I found it useful for Jon to hold it tight on the front) and tie it to the washer.
…and repeat until all of the tufts are done!
Then staple the surrounding fabric to the underside of the bench.
Now that the tufts are done, you can attach the buttons. Do the same process with the tufts, just add the button at the top. I bought this button kit:
I bought 4, 16″ table legs from Lowes. To attach the legs, I used 4 of these mounting plates:
And now for the skirt. Ugh…the skirt. The bane of my existence. You know the scene in Julie and Julia where Julia ruins her Boeuf Bourguignon, falls on the kitchen floor, and pitches a fit like a two year old? Yeah I might have had one of those moments. Or two. (ok maybe three). So I will skip all the gory details and just show you what finally worked. (dramatic much?)
It needs a skirt since you can see the underside without it. After a short brainstorming session with my dad, we came up with garden edging.
I know it sounds weird. It kinda is. But stick with me…
It’s the perfect pliability. And it’s cheap. And we had some laying around. Perfect!
I cut a strip long enough to cover the front. Then, I wrapped it in fabric and nailed it to the front with small tack nails.
Under this scrap piece of fabric is the trim….
so I just flipped it back over and stapled the excess fabric to the underside of the bench.
I painted the legs white (Benjamin Moore’s White Dove in semi-gloss).
To give it the aged look, I wiped some glaze (custom tinted to a muddy brown) on it, let it sit for about a minute, then wiped it off. It’s hard to tell from the pictures below, but it gives it a great, antique, worn-look.
- MDF (already had)
- foam (already had)
- garden trim (already had)
- paint and glaze (already had)
- 1 yd of fabric: $9.99
- button kit: $9.99
- 4 table legs: $11.64
- Total: $31.62
I actually had a gift card to the fabric store that I used for the fabric and buttons, so this bench actually cost me $11.63 + tax. Score!