Progress! The built ins are now installed and secured to the wall. These babies aren’t going anywhere.
To install the overhang, I bought 5 of these L brackets and two corner braces.
We wanted the overhang to sit further off the wall than the tall vertical shelves to give it some dimension. To make the overhang sit further out, we screwed some 2×4’s into the studs.
Then we added the L brackets to the studs (leveling as we went) so the overhang can sit on them.
…then screwed the overhang into the L brackets. (These brackets will be covered up, more on that later).
For some added security, we used two corner brackets to secure the top of the overhang to the wall.
We needed a base to raise up the tall vertical shelves so that they would be level with the top of the overhang . The first layer was secured with my new Kreg Jig
(this thing is the icing to my DIY cake…can’t wait to use it again).
In order for the tops to be level, the base needed to be 4 layers high.
So now the tops are all level and the overhang sits out a bit for the dimension we wanted!
We used the brackets that came with the Billy bookcase system to attach it to studs in the wall.
There is a small gap under the extender shelves that we slid the brackets into. We attached the brackets to the actual shelves instead of the extender shelves since it will be more secure…just in case a certain little dude decides to go all Spiderman on us and scale the bookshelves.
So here we are now!
Next, we will be adding molding and baseboards to give it the seamless look!
This post contains affiliate links.